Tuesday, February 10, 2015

cookbooks 7 and 8: scandinavian cooking and a quinoa salad

So I've gotten behind on posting...but not on cooking!

For Christmas Jacob bought me a new cookbook, Tina Nordstrom's Scandinavian Cooking.  We've seen her show New Scandinavian Cooking on PBS and I love a good Scandinavian cookbook.

right out of the oven
 It's a beautiful cookbook full of interesting recipes and beautiful pictures.  One of the first pictures I saw was for the recipe, "Cod with Green Pea Pesto."  The food looked delicious and was intrigued.  The pesto was made with thawed frozen peas, cashews, arugula, parsley, parmesan and olive oil - plus a little salt.  Just place the cod fillets in a baking dish and cover with the pesto, bake for 30 minutes and you're ready to eat!

served with cauliflower
I wanted to really like this recipe, but something was missing.  Maybe it needed a little lemon?  While part of me would like to see if I could figure out what needed to change, I don't know that I would make this recipe again since there are so many other wonderful recipes out there.  I'll have to try another recipe from this cookbook another time.

Fortunately my next recipe was more successful.  I've made quite a few recipes from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special already.  In fact one of my favorite salad recipe is from this cookbook (Spicy Pineapple Tofu Salad - for those who don't think you like tofu, this could change your mind!).

Andean Quinoa salad at work
I try to mix things up a bit with a grain-based salad for lunch, especially since in the winter the produce isn't at its peak.  It's nice because grain based salads keep for a couple days and we can usually get two lunches for both Jacob and me out of one recipe.  This time I made "Andean Quinoa & Corn Salad." I usually use red quinoa; it has a pretty color and offers a nice contrast here to the corn and the fresh cilantro & parsley.  It also has onions, red pepper and a fresh chile (I used half a jalapeno) sauteed with cumin, garlic and coriander.  The recipe says to add chopped tomato; I only add them to the portions we are going to eat so that the tomato doesn't add too much moisture in the salad and get mealy when it sits for a day or two in fridge.  I also used some grape tomatoes I bought because they were actually decent for winter tomatoes.  Finally, the dressing was just some lemon juice - nice and simple.  The salad was quite good and had a bit of kick to it with the jalapeno.  It earned a "make it again" designation without any changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment